Topic-icon Greatest Invention Of Modern History

More
14 years 6 months ago #10234 by Alchemy
Ive just been sitting around today and looking at all the shit we take for granted. What are your views on the greatest inventions, mine would definately be electricity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10235 by Spell Jammer
Greatest ever, the wheel-less work for the masses
Greatest C.E. or A.D, the printing press-knowledge to the masses
Greatest in the past 100 years or so,Semiconductors, electricity/electronics, internet - the masses talk to each other.

Other notables
plumbing - take a dump in the place you live without any negative side effects i.e some sort of plague.
transportation(air&ground) go anywhere in a couple of hours

More
14 years 6 months ago #10236 by Alchemy
:laugh: Trust you Jay, but I agree, Plumbing is a BIGGIE

More
14 years 6 months ago #10237 by Babyjuice
Well All those things a great truly great

For me as a women i think a panty liner is one of the greatest inventions by humans..........what would i do without it.......it never lets u down....

God's greatest invention was men............yeh men.............they stupid but satisfies u're every need

More
14 years 6 months ago #10238 by Spell Jammer
Dude, I had Breast Implants as one of my notables.

Internal combustion engine is alsi huge. The harnessing of electricity that brough the light to the darkness in more efficient manner than coal oil or whale oil or kerosene is also huge.

Its really hard to say. We have the agricultural revolution of the late 1600's and early 1700's which allowed a burgeoning population to support the industrial revolution from the 18th to 19th century and that in turn brought about the information revolution, who phase we are in the beginning throes of.

It wasn't so difficult to insert turning points earlier in history because things changed slowly and pinpoints were often more like "choke points" that allowed us to study specific areas of time and geography. Presently things are changing so fast its more difficult to see overriding influences, that and the closer one comes to the present the more difficult history is to define.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10239 by Likwidzoe
Beer...........those belgian monks should recieve, well they already have recieved accolades for this gr8test invention EVER........and still stands the test of time....................!!!

More
14 years 6 months ago #10240 by Alchemy
Jay, I don't feel the technological and scientific evolution goes very fast. The gazoline car engine as we know it is more than 100 years old, nuclear energy is 60 years old, television is 40 years old, airbag is 25 years old...

Only computers have evolved fast. All the rest goes on slow pace.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10243 by Spell Jammer
Likwid, we owe them monks a shrine of their own.

Alch, I suggest you look at the horsepower changes, efficiency in mechanics, the changes in basic design. A wagon remained a wagon for thousands of years. But things like the car also helped give birth to the rocket engine and then there are gyroscopes, and so on.

Or that there is no marked difference between the telegraph and the cellphone?

It is fast, and compared to computers alone not so fast, but when you expand your vision of history and look to history in a macro sense it is almost a blur.

Think about the changes and what they have led to. The agricultural revolution took almost a hundred years for the effects to be felt and more when one considers the world wide aspects. The industrial revolution also took almost a century to develop and really didn't hit full swing until the mid to late 19th century.

The technological revolution is less than a century old and its effects are world wide. Not simply computers and the internet (half a century and quarter century old), but consider also the airplane which just barely turned one hundred.

We are still feeling the ramifications as we look to and consider moon bases and other planets and even terra forming.

Nuclear energy has been set aside for the most part, for political reasons, and so it has not recieved the attention or research it may deserve.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10245 by Alchemy
Jayk there have been improvements of course. What I wanted to say is that except computer/telecom/network, the evolusion has been slower between 1975 to 2005 than between 1945 to 1975 or between 1915 to 1945 or even between 1885 to 1915.

Except fast home computers, digital optic fiber network, cellphones and digital data storage, almost everyhting that exists today already existed in 1975.

Compare a snapshot of a street, a factory, an office, a home, a military base, a laboratory or a supermarket in 1975 and compare it with today: Nothing has realy changed. You can see it easily by watching old movies.

We are nowhere closer to Mars colonizing than we were 30 years ago. Even going to the Moon would require the same technology, basicaly, as that used in 1969...

Look in the different 30 years laps, the society, the environement, the industry underwent more transformation between 1945 to 1975 or 1915 to 1945 or even 1885 to 1915 then in the last 30 years.

I feel that our lst 30 years were similar in developement to the 1855 - 1885 period.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10246 by Spell Jammer
25 years and its not a blur? 25 years ago India was starving. Now it exports food. You are looking at it from the relative space of 25 years and not really in the historical context.

And no, things are much much different now. Cars are very different in what they offer. Cell phones, Air bags, fire detectors, genetic science has gone by leaps and bounds, medicine, cat scans, mri's (the inventors of which recieved a nobel peace prize). Ceramic engines used for hyper sonic speed, exotic metals, graphite that does not create bodily rejection, advanced sonar and radar,

I think your view is extremely limited in two ways.

1-You don't notice the changes because they are like plumbing, taken for granted and generally unseen.

2-Your historical perspective of 25 years is too short, given that most technological change in human history took centuries to inculcate itself and become implemented.

The changes we see or have seen in our lifetimes have never happened before in human history.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10247 by Herbsta
This has to be IT!!!

A NEW SMS-activated vibrator is allowing South African couples to turn each other on by remote control.

Using Bluetooth technology, the novel battery-operated vibrator responds to a simple text message sent to the user’s cellphone, enabling pleasure to be controlled from across the room — or even the ocean.

Known as “The Toy”, the fun gadget was launched in South Africa last month by a local home-automation company.

Spokesman Jonathan Isherwood said the hand-made product, which originated in Britain, had taken South Africa by storm.

The Toy is worn internally, linked to a cellphone and controlled by a secret six-digit tagged text message sent to the phone. Once read, the message is transported automatically to the vibrator, which responds to each letter in the message, providing various combinations of intensity and duration.

“Each letter in the message vibrates at a different frequency. It physically reads the message and that’s what gives the vibration pattern for however long the message is,” said Isherwood.

There are 45 possible effects from any one letter, with 7200 variations from a single text message.

“Regardless of where you are — shopping in town, at work, or even across an ocean — as long as you can get a signal on your mobile, you can intimately connect.”

Isherwood said the price tag of R3000 did not appear to be a deterrent, particularly for women.

According to The Toy’s website, the vibrators are available in six colours. However, black and pink are already sold out.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10249 by Imraan
A very confusing one this....wrecking my brains. I can not think of anything that has actually improved the lives of human beings.
Everytime I think of one then two opposites come my way.

I am lost...

More
14 years 6 months ago #10254 by Alchemy
You have a point Imraan, thats why for me the single most important invention in modern time still is the written word.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10255 by Imraan
Ahhhh, there we on to something now. What about a number? Words and numbers.
Makes sense to me.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10256 by Spell Jammer
True to marginal, and I mean VERY marginal degree Alch but if you have to look at it written word is not modern and is not open to interpetation.

Are the Neanderthal cave paintings the written word? Why or why not?

More
14 years 6 months ago #10258 by Imraan
Drawings, any method of human communication.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10262 by Spell Jammer
Then paper should accompany that, probably one of the WORST inventions has been the pill although women will disagree. Think about how much promiscuity and unsafe sex this has promoted.

More
14 years 6 months ago #10290 by Imraan
Words, and numbers. No paper needed. Sand, rock....
Communication and binary.

More
4 years 7 months ago #203512 by The South African
Goldie for today

I am the man you do not want to see or why settle for a burger when you have steak at home.

More
1 month 3 days ago #204309 by rtiiosl
Yeah, I agree that electricity and plumbing are extremely important, but I also appreciate airships which were once the main form of air transport. They were often used for passenger transportation in the first half of the 20th century. However, over time, planes began to displace them. However, airships atlas-lta.com/about/ are now actively used by people and no one is going to stop.