Topic-icon David Bullard: Uncolonised Africa

More
14 years 3 months ago #117703 by jaydee26
allan wrote:

Abbey Makoe, Jon Qwelane and a host of other Black people who you think are racist is a different issue and one that should be discussed... But their racism doesn't make Bullards any more acceptable any more than pilfering toilet paper makes murder more acceptable...

Please be so kind as to elaborate on how racism is different when perpetuated by a black man. To me, racism is racism irrespective of who perpetuates.

I have heard on numerous occasions that \"Black\" people are incapable of been racist as the term was coined to refer to the treatment of black slaves by white masters.:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #117728 by allan
I agree with you that racism is racism no matter who perpetuates it. My point is that we cannot use one incident of racism to justify another...
Soem people believe that Black (of all hues) cannot be racist towards White people because racism is inherently an expression of power. So, racism exists only in contexts where there are differences in power between the people, where one group is subjugated because of the their position in society. Racism, like sexism cannnot be divorced from issues of class , priveledge and power.
As an example: Is it racist if a car guard spits on the car of White man, behind his back and calls him a 'Boer'? He may hate the man because he is White and priveledged, but is that a racist expression of his anger or is it something else?
The dilemna is that we all make subjective judgements about these things - we all respond in different ways to words and gestures. It is an emotional repsonse. and so, back to David Bullard...
When I read the article I FELT offended, it made me angry that he had quite subtly taken away from me, and all of the people who fought for freedom from the crap that we had before, our right to be angry because he believes - that 'the Black man is not happy unless he has something to complain about'. That is the crux of it. His behaviour afterwards makes me believe that he believes that in the depths of his soul otherwise he would have stood up and apologised by now. If he won't do that then he deserves to be fired.

More
14 years 3 months ago #117750 by CritiKill
I actually did'nt see anything racist about David Bullard's comment...just some severe Afro-pessimism...which mind you, in light of the permissive approach our pipe-smoking frequent visitor to SA president Thabo Mbeki is having on the Zim fiasco, I don't blame him.

I think that because Black people have an inherent inferiority complex, any criticism leveled at the group is seen as racist and with sinister intent. What if Bullard had written the article about Indians in India or something and spoke about their reluctance to get with the program...do you think the response would've been the same? I don't think so.

When Chika Onyeani scathingly attacks Black people in Capitalist Nigger, nobody bats an eyelid, but when a journalist states the obvious, based presumably on utterances which eminent authors like Mr Onyeani have already made, then it is rubbished with all the scornful disdain we can muster.

Africa is so hung-up on its own GLARING and repeat PHUCK-UPS, it has become rabidly intolerant of any criticism, no matter how valid or eye-opening it may be. Afro-pessimism is deliberately being misinterpreted as outright racism, much like anything anti-Israeli is misconstrued as anti-Semitic.

Really, perhaps if they nuke every single structure which the white man has built in Africa and start from scratch, maybe then we can ascertain if there's any truth to Mr Bullard's praatjies...

More
14 years 3 months ago #117757 by Fryingpanwarrior
allan wrote:

... he believes - that 'the Black man is not happy unless he has something to complain about'. That is the crux...

I cannot agree at all. My take of the article was, to put it bluntly, the black man not recognising the good that came out of european colonialism in Africa. Sure, a lot of shit came along with the British, French, Portugese, etc, but why focus on ONLY the negative? Bullard simply drew a sketch of what African life would've been like, had the white-devils not landed on our shores, and I think he nailed it spot-on.
Not recognising the good that came with colonialism, while personally enjoying all the white-devil's creature comforts, smells like double-standards to me...
A prime example is Bob-the-puke-face-Mugabe. The man hates everything British, except of course, the architecture of his mansions, the fine suits and ties he wears, the Rolls-Royce he got married in, and the in fine wine that he sips in his Lear jet while his wife shops in Harrod's. Nice.
Now before anyone hallucinates a pro-white opinion on my behalf, I'm not claiming that colonialism was spotless and all-good. I'm sayin that the racism, wars, deaths, segregation happened. It was kak. Get over it. Life goes on. Slamming everything white doesnt justify anything. It only proves the double standards of our european-cultured society...

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #117758 by Gnarls
But now what about the FBJ? Eish, I sound like a dog who can't let go of a bone...

Cheers
Last Edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Gnarls. Reason: the Gnarls has edited.

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #117793 by Mica
:P

starting from overs...

Charlie Bruinou in \"One Settler: One Bullard\":

Really, perhaps if they nuke every single structure which the white man has built in Africa and start from scratch, maybe then we can ascertain if there's any truth to Mr Bullard's praatjies...

and mi was like :silly:

tjek dis:
HauwBear! :S Can we at least recognise one thing herewa: them crazy settler oaks did not come to Africa with altruistic intentions. No siree, bob! There's was not a mission to save the world from cavities! :ohmy:

They came to Africa to exploit the natural resources that abounded on this wonderful continent. The system of value ascribed to Africa's mineral wealth was imposed by western oakies and continues to dictate the relative worth of the continent and indeed the people themselves. :huh:

The infrastructure and development that they brought to africa was set up for the express purpose of exploiting the mineral wealth that sprouted from our rich soil. The machinery of development: Roads, rail links, shipping routes, mines, wat not; was but a mere phase in a long production line for the benefit o the settler oakies. They be digging for them Cullinan's and using it to adorn the mantle o the Queen Bee back home. :P

Sure the apartheid oakies \"liberated\" us from British rule, but the trend continued: they be using the infra that the british oaks brought, with a few minor adjustments, and continued the wholesale rape of our land! It was never about uplifting the indiginous people; and whatever \"benefit\" they received from the \"advancement\" was secondary!
and what benefit is there really: shanty towns springing up near economic centres? the erosion of culture and family? crime? chocolate&confectionary:blush:? stress? lifestyle disorders? STD's? mental health problems? pollution? ESKOM and the power struggle:huh:?
Which be why mi refers to them settler oakies as the \"white geVARKlik\", cos they be driven by greed! and their greed caused a big ol stink! finish and kla! :dry:

and like mi said earlier: VIVA!!! No more Bullard! :woohoo:
Last Edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Mica.

More
14 years 3 months ago #117795 by Mica
:dry:

Blacks only...

Gnarls picked a bone:

But now what about the FBJ?

and mi was like :huh:

tjek dis:
The FBJ is a valid and necessary organisation, set up to advance the opportunities of and serve as a platform for previously disadvantaged black journalists. This was recognised by the Human Rights Commission Ruling.

ITS the FBJ's race based membership policy which drew the ire of the media fraternity and the SAHRC. Essentially: white journalists are barred from joining the organisation. But coloured, indian, and black journalists are automatically accorded membership status.

The Human Rights Commission declared this practice unconstitutional and discriminatory: cos its really not the white oaks fault that their melanin is deficient :silly:

The SAHRC said that membership should be based on an individuals commitment to the goals of an organisation. And if a white oakie feels he would like to contribute to that mission, then he/she should be allowed to join! It was recommended that the FBJ revise their membership policy accordingly. And its expected that the Forum will raise the contentious membership question at its next AGM!

finish and kla :P

More
14 years 3 months ago #117863 by Igor
They came to Africa to exploit the natural resources that abounded on this wonderful continent.
-maybe in the rest of africa but not south africa hey . nobody wanted to colonize the cape , it was considered a barren wasteland who's only redeeming feature was location location location , being nicely between europe and india . the whites where imported to be , essentially petrol joggies , to farm the food to feed the sailors . if it wasn't for the trek , all the natural resources would probably still be excatly where they've always been.

funny tho , barely a month after the bullard colomn , whoop there are the chinese troops/weapons he spoke off ...

More
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #117884 by Mica
:huh:

Agh Nooit!

Igor quote:

nobody wanted to colonize the cape , it was considered a barren wasteland who's only redeeming feature was location location location , being nicely between europe and india

and mi was like :ohmy:

tjek dis:
Brew, u jus made mi point...mi had earlier made reference to the Shipping route in mi argument that colonialism was principally about the exploitation of the the continent's untapped resources for the benefit o the \"motherland\". :dry:

and mi points stands. unchallenged. undisputed :P

and den Igor done spew more crazy speak:ohmy::

if it wasn't for the trek , all the natural resources would probably still be excatly where they've always been.

and mi was like :S

erm, actually...there were people living therewa, working the soil, taking from nature! in a delicate balance. and them crazy trekkers upsetted the whole apple cart with their quest for shiny objects :unsure:

And so what if them natural resources remained untouched?

Like:
if coal deposits convert in the bowels o the earth, and their's nobody there to mine it, does it make a crown?

:silly:
Last Edit: 14 years 3 months ago by Mica.

More
14 years 3 months ago #117891 by CritiKill
That we now have an arms shipment at port in Durban, on the verge of being shipped to Zimbabwe is a very, very scary thought. Add to this the claims that Chinese soldiers are already based in Zim and the words of David Bullard become almost prophetic in their timely insight.

I'm frustrated at the number of opportunities which Africa has had to show its commitment to human rights, progress and social harmony all being so enthusiastically squandered, time after time. Let me not even start on Mbeki and the royal dump he has taken on any hopes we had of sanity prevailing on the Zim issue.

As an African, I think I have a right to get a bit Afro-pessimistic in light of recent occurrences? Does that automatically make me racist for expressing despair in an increasingly bleak situation?

If the leaders were Bruinous / wit-ous / whoever-else, I'd be just as vocal in my round condemnation of their BS!! The racism card is getting a bit tired and is overly used to deflect attention from the core issues...my humble opinion...

More
14 years 3 months ago #117916 by Igor
that colonialism was principally about the exploitation of the the continent's untapped resources for the benefit o the \"motherland\".
-yes true but a couple of acres of barren land turned into farms falls a bit short of \"the continent's untapped resources\" and push-comes-to-shove , if nobody is using it , what's the point ?

and hey , don't see anybody doning loin clothes and returning to that 'delicate balance' , the whole thrust of human history is to get away from nature , good or bad .

And so what if them natural resources remained untouched?
-er nekkid people living in trees ? hey even stone tools is a natural resource ;)

them crazy trekkers upsetted the whole apple cart
-actually it was the crazy african hey , if they stayed put , well then we'd all be enjoying that delicate balance ... for about 30 years and then we die of old age .

colonialism is an evil but it's a biological imperative

More
14 years 3 months ago #118168 by allan
'…but the tribal elders are still aware of some essential happiness ingredient they still need to discover. Praying to the ancestors is no help because they are just as clueless…Suddenly the indigenous population realise what they have been missing all along: someone to blame. At last their prayers have been answered'
Remove all the fluff and that is what it becomes! racist stereotyping!

CK - Afro pessimism is one thing - attributing our lack of progress to an inherent trait of our 'race' is racist carp taht should not be tolerated. Would you sit back and eb olay with a statement like teh k=one above if we changed teh context a bit...
' the Coloured man is happy in his pristine natural environment - the ghetto that he knows so well - though still aware of some essential happiness ingredient he still needs to discover. Praying to the ancestors is no help because they are just as clueless… then white man arrives plies him with alcohol and suddenly the Bruin ou realises what they have been missing all along: someone to blame. At last their prayers have been answered'

Igor - What is biological about conquest, subjugation and ongoing exploitation?

More
14 years 3 months ago #119095 by tessie
oi oi oi! Me, Im going to stay out of this one for the most part...but just an update

Now the arts and culture minister is suggesting that Bullard leave the country...rubbish I tell you. Right or wrong, agreed or disagreed, this attack on the man is really getting out of hand. Disagree with what he says if you want, but for goodness sake except the apology and move on. Clearly, he is good at what he does and it is people like him who are able to keep healthy public debate alive (this is, if I recall correctly, one of the features of a healthy democracy). Instead when somebody says something we dont like- 'oh lets oust him'- Ek sê whoa...ek sê pokken whoa!:angry:

More
14 years 3 months ago #119102 by Zebulonguy
CRITIKIL SAID

\"ANYTHING ANTI ISRAELI IS CONSIDERED ANTI SEMITISM\"

WELL IF YOU AGAINST ISRAEL AND ARE CRITICIZING USING EXCESSIVE FORCE AND THE LOONY SETTLERS ON THE WEST BANK(I AM ISRAELI AND HATE THEIR GUTS AND WOULD EXCHANGE SOME OF THEM FOR OUR 3 KIDNAPPED SOLDIERS ANYDAY)WHO BEAT UP PALLIES FOR NO REASON,THAT IS NOT ANTI SEMITIC,BUT TO BE AGAINST ISRAEL COS THEY ALL JEWS AND SAY THEY MUST ALL GO BACK TO EUROPE,CALIFORNIA ETC,THAT IS ABIT RACIST,ITS LIKE SAYING ALL BO,S MUST GO BACK TO THE CAPE WHEN THEY NEVER ALL BEEN THERE.THATS JUST MY OPINION.

PS EXCUSE THE CAPS----KEYBOARD,ITS MULTILINGUAL;)

More
14 years 3 months ago #119403 by allan
I think that Pallo Jordan's statement is indicative of how deeply offensive the article was. He is an otherwise very reasonable man and one of the few people within the current government whose opinions I have any respect for...
while i don't agree that we shoudl chase Bullard away. i agree that people (of all races) should exercise choice and leave if they feel that it is all so bad that tehy can't live here anymore...

More
14 years 3 months ago #119414 by Zebulonguy
btw what did this bullard dude write,I never read his article,,,,,,,pleez send a link. :)

More
14 years 3 months ago #119476 by allan
Article in the first post at the top of the thread...

More
14 years 3 months ago #119495 by Zebulonguy
server timed out.......DAMMMMMMMMMMIT.

More
14 years 3 months ago #121263 by foxxy
Yes, yes, I am probably one of those Africans Bullard was referring to... blissfully oblivious to the happenings around me. I only read that dammned article now. Today, 4 May 2008.

I have to agree with CK, i found nothing racist in that article. Seriously. I have been an avid Bullard reader, and the ONE Sunday I did not buy the Sunday Times, he goes and causes all sorts of drama which I missed out on.

David Bullard writes what many South Africans think. I think his nortorious article was blown out of proportion... I can even see why the editor didn't think anything of it, and allowing it to go to print. Only with his 20/20 hindsight vision did he see th error in his own ways by allowing it to go go unchecked. Rubbish.

As a black South African, I sometimes think that we take ourselves way too seriously. We cannot laugh at ourselves. We're so uptight, any attempt to even smile might just cause some really unpleasant reaction in the body. If a black person wrote that very same article, I can guarantee you that nothing would have been made of it. It would have been laughed at. But because its a white male, therein lies the problem.

I always found David Bullard's Out To Lunch so amusing. When I bought the pper, my first thing was to take the Careers section out to read what he had to say. He's asked the questions we only dare to ask amongst friends and families. He makes bold statements about corruption, the government... Even whe he was shot, he did not go on a blacks-are-evil-white-killers crusade like some white people do go on... he acknowledged that crime is a problem, and it affects everyone.

More
14 years 3 months ago #121266 by Gerrry
CritiKill wrote:

I actually did'nt see anything racist about David Bullard's comment...just some severe Afro-pessimism...which mind you, in light of the permissive approach our pipe-smoking frequent visitor to SA president Thabo Mbeki is having on the Zim fiasco, I don't blame him.

I think that because Black people have an inherent inferiority complex, any criticism leveled at the group is seen as racist and with sinister intent. What if Bullard had written the article about Indians in India or something and spoke about their reluctance to get with the program...do you think the response would've been the same? I don't think so.

When Chika Onyeani scathingly attacks Black people in Capitalist Nigger, nobody bats an eyelid, but when a journalist states the obvious, based presumably on utterances which eminent authors like Mr Onyeani have already made, then it is rubbished with all the scornful disdain we can muster.

Africa is so hung-up on its own GLARING and repeat PHUCK-UPS, it has become rabidly intolerant of any criticism, no matter how valid or eye-opening it may be. Afro-pessimism is deliberately being misinterpreted as outright racism, much like anything anti-Israeli is misconstrued as anti-Semitic.

Well put, CritiKill. Africans do not like to see things as they are, or perhaps they do, but Doing Somethng About It involves too much effort. Any suggestion by the West is shot down with the stock response: \"African problems need African solutions\" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Is there such a thing as an African solution? Does it involve STRATEGY? LOGIC? URGENCY? Or does it simply mean that \"We are aware of the problem but f*ck the people who are suffering\"?