Topic-icon Do you agree with this statement...

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #192630 by Gerrry
YoungColouredMale wrote:

"All views have equal merit and none should be considered better than another."


Greentings to you YCM.

This is not an easy statement to deal with unless one clarifies and/or qualifies its three concepts.

Points of view are meaningless [or unimportant] unless they have meaning in someone's life - and by meaning I am saying that a person acts or reacts in a specific situation according to one view or another that he or she has on life. Consider these two viewpoints:

(a) Man U is an overrated team with arrogant players and I hope they lose every game they play.

(b) Man U is the best team ever and I want them to win every game they play.


Now these view[point]s are meaningful because many people respond to Man United's progress or setbacks during a match according to whether they hold view (a) or view (b)...and this response is observable.
In this first example, I would say that each view of Man United has equal weight and is acceptable, and a fairly common aspect of our daily lives.

Now take these two views:

(a) My parents are getting old now and I will kill them if they don't die soon - I want my inheritance before I'm too old to enjoy it.

(b) My parents are getting old now and I thank God that they are still in good health and pray that He will bless them with continuing good health.



This example is different altogether. How can equal weight be given to such opposing views? Bear in mind that viewpoints are meaningless [or unimportant] unless they impact on our lives in one way or another, and that people act or react or behave according to these viewpoints. The person who wants his parents to die ASAP, and who intends to kill them if they don't, is displaying an abhorrent anti-social view that should be condemned outright - and so I would say that depending on the topic at hand, some views ought to be given equal weight [neither being better than the other], while other views ought to be condemned... and this has nothing to do with any specific religious belief but with basic human decency and what is generally considered to be either good [acceptable]or bad [unacceptable].

See if you can find any merit in the following view:

All women are bitches and it is okay to rape them and in fact whenever I rape one she ought to feel honoured and grateful.
Last Edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Gerrry. Reason: further clarity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #192631 by Gerrry
YoungColouredMale wrote:

"All views have equal merit and none should be considered better than another."


Oh my word, it strikes me that I might have been wasting my time with my previous posting. YCM, by "views" you weren't referring to views such as one of a mine dump in Johannesburg and one of Table Mountain having equal merit, were you?

;)
Last Edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Gerrry. Reason: typing too fast!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192632 by LSOB
I would love to comment on this but it seems that I, as a women, should know my place .. hence my views and opinions mean very little because I tend to air them on Bruinou.com .... and seeing that the original poster has made his stance on this very statement abundantly clear on numerous occasions... being it as broad as it is and the many meanings such a statement may hold..... be it intolerance,chauvinism and/or prejudice.... I find the need to express my total impassibility and indifference to what his motives may be for creating such a thread.

My say is said... Good night y'all :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192637 by tessie
lol....@LSOB

YCM....an interesting q...

I think my concern is with the word better...better in what sense?

The view: "going drinking is a great idea", could be a great idea for a couple of Bruinou dudes/ladies @ 6pm on a saturday evening....and a terrible idea for the same group a couple of hours later at 1am when most of them are wasted already...better is a judgement of outcomes and rationality relative to the people involved. If that statement means that regarding some statment "better" than another is prejudgdicial, then there can never be any considerations of what may be good or bad, benevolent or evil ever again by anyone.


If we were to replace the word better with "more valid" for instance, or better yet "more worthy of consideration" I may be more willing to play ball with the statement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192638 by Gnarls
YoungColouredMale wrote:

"All views have equal merit and none should be considered better than another."


Except mine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192639 by $Force
YCM asked that we consider:

"All views have equal merit and none should be considered better than another."

It depends on the window you are looking through....

I'm hoping that I'm not barking up the wrong tree here, as I am not sure if YCM means the "views" people hold in general or if YCM means "views" as expressed in the context of a debate. Maybe even both.

When talking about people expressing their views, the merit of those views are not as much dependent on the person sharing their views, or even the validity of the views themselves.
Rather, they are more dependent on how the other person (to who those views are expressed) perceives those views and how they perceive the person sharing those views.

Your views only carry weight when You hold credibility.
If you toss your own credibility aside, then no matter how much truth lies in your views, those views will not hold the same weight as when coming from someone whose credibility is still intact.

LOL - I just realised that we are doing a strange exercise...
Sharing our views about....
Views :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192643 by sparkplug
YoungColouredMale wrote:

"All views have equal merit and none should be considered better than another."


if the perceptions, perspectives, etc. are different then your statement is incorrect

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #192644 by tusme
YoungColouredMale wrote:

"All views have equal merit and none should be considered better than another."

Put it this way, consider "all views" are vibrational energy, each possessing their very own vibrational frequency, ok...now, the only way "none should be considered better than the other", is if, all those energy's (or, all views) are vibrating at exactly the same vibrational frequency...

That said, however, does not necessarily mean, if all vibrational energies are equally balanced, the outcome or result would be a formality (each time)...only if (GOD's) Truth exists at the core of all views or all vibrational energy's, could it then be said that "none is better than the other", more importantly, that the outcome or result be guarenteed...to be Truth...infinitely!!

Hope that made sense...!? :)
Last Edit: 12 years 10 months ago by tusme.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192647 by Gerrry
Now we wait for YCM and...

the religious aspect of this thread.

B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192659 by YoungColouredMale
Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread, and let me assure you there is no malice intended by it. LSOB, my dear sister... please accept my humblest apology for past trespasses against you. Gnarls, your view does hold merit, not necessarily to me but surely to you?

With regard to this thread, let's not over-analyze (Hi Gerrry!), anyway the question is simple...

"All views have equal merit and none should be considered better than another." I'm looking for the simple answer to a simple question.

I agree or I don't agree

Tess, for this exercise to make sense, please note I cannot change the word "better" to the examples you gave...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #192660 by Gerrry
The statement is waaaayyyyy too broad for an Agree / Disagree response... and if you don't appreciate the trouble I took to unpack it, well... it was ridicluous to begin with :laugh: and that's where I'll leave it. Eish, talk of casting pearls to swine.

:P
Last Edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Gerrry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192661 by YoungColouredMale
Guys.... I guess what I am saying is...

Based on the statement I have made, chose a side according to your convictions.

Yes you agree or No you don't.

Let me say this, my answer to the question would be "No" I disagree with that statement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192662 by YoungColouredMale
Gerrry wrote:

The statement is waaaayyyyy too broad for an Agree / Disagree response... and if you don't appreciate the trouble I took to unpack it, well... it was ridicluous to begin with :laugh: and that's where I'll leave it. Eish, talk of casting pearls to swine.

:P


Thank you Gerrry. It seems MY proclivities have conditioned YOU to respond to me in that manner. In that regard, I apologise.







However, this is a new day, and God's mercies are new every morning. Thank God for that!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #192671 by YoungColouredMale
Gerrry wrote:

"....Eish, talk of casting pearls to swine."


In order for your statement to be true we have to consider the rest of the verse:

....lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.”


Now my question is: "At which point did I trample your views under foot and turn and tear you to pieces Gerrry?"





The answer to this question will highlight the contempt in your post. Unwarranted contempt I may add. Even if you meant it in a mildly sarcastic way, it'll still end up being disrespectful in light of the thread content.
Last Edit: 12 years 10 months ago by YoungColouredMale. Reason: Forgot something

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192676 by tusme
YoungColouredMale wrote:

Guys.... I guess what I am saying is...

Based on the statement I have made, chose a side according to your convictions.

Yes you agree or No you don't.

Let me say this, my answer to the question would be "No" I disagree with that statement.

Hey YCM, hope your weekend was good...!? ;)

Imho, your original quote is somewhat incomplete, co's it seems to be unrelated to any state or condition...?

Otherwise, my answer is simply, No!, I disagree with that statement...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192678 by YoungColouredMale
Hi Tusme, my weekend was great. Short, but great. Thanks for asking..

My original quote is not incomplete, it seems that way because "we" want it to relate to a state or condition. Its easier to answer if it relates to something specific.

However, its a view, either you hold to it or you don't. In this case you (like me) do not hold to that view.

Keep that in mind... and tell me if you agree or disagree with this statement:

“Jesus is the Messiah and other religions are wrong for rejecting that.”


This one should be easy....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192684 by Gerrry
Gerrry wrote:

Now we wait for YCM and...

the religious aspect of this thread.

B)



Please note what I said in the quote [above]

now read this -

YCM wrote:

and tell me if you agree or disagree with this statement:

“Jesus is the Messiah and other religions are wrong for rejecting that.”

This one should be easy....



Eish, YCM you are sooooo devious. And predictable.


This thread stinks and belongs in the Religious forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192685 by YoungColouredMale
Gerrry... that is a statement... Why does it stink to you?

What makes this statement different from:

All views have equal merit and none should be considered better than another."

Huh Gerrry?

BTW Gerrry, you are a smart man, tell me why should this thread go to the Religion forum.. It has nothing to do with religion? I've expressed 2 views?



Gerrry... you are letting bitterness get the better of you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192687 by tusme
YoungColouredMale wrote:

Hi Tusme, my weekend was great. Short, but great. Thanks for asking..

My original quote is not incomplete, it seems that way because "we" want it to relate to a state or condition. Its easier to answer if it relates to something specific.

However, its a view, either you hold to it or you don't. In this case you (like me) do not hold to that view.

Keep that in mind... and tell me if you agree or disagree with this statement:

“Jesus is the Messiah and other religions are wrong for rejecting that.”


This one should be easy....

I know what you mean, re, the weekend's being "too short"...well, at least you enjoyed it...!! :lol:

Well YCM, tbh, I could agree and disagree with your statement...

Firstly, every Physical being is borne into this Physical Dimension with the gift of the Spirit being and secondly, with a GOD given right to free-will...and I dare say, even in the case of Truth.

Thus, even if "JESUS the Messiah" was the absolute Truth, then, neither you, I nor anyone else should interfere with other's GOD given right to free-will...

You see, if it is your choice to accept "JESUS as the Messiah", then that should be your choice alone, and should not be imposed on others, especially if they chose not to accept such a belief...ditto for individuals following other religions...

Otherwise, imho, at some point in time, every individual of every religion (with such intentions) will oneday find themselves in direct opposition to GOD's Truth, as expressed through every Physical being's Spirit being...

It is "wrong", YCM, for me to subject other's to my Truth, expecially if that supposed Truth is not truly originating from my Spirit (Truth energy) being...co's even the Holy Bible say's, the fruits of the Spirit is Truth, Love, Peace, Compassion, Humility, Forgiveness, etc, etc...thus, when such a person speaks/communicates (with others), it's never a case of imposing anything...even Truth.

Finally, I'll let you off with this question...considering GOD know's the "destiny/future" (of every Physical being) perfectly, why then does GOD still give life to those millions, if not billions of people who (knowingly or otherwise) chose not to accept "JESUS as the Messiah"...!? :S

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #192688 by Gerrry
YoungColouredMale wrote:

Gerrry... that is a statement... Why does it stink to you?

What makes this statement different from:

All views have equal merit and none should be considered better than another."

Huh Gerrry?

BTW Gerrry, you are a smart man, tell me why should this thread go to the Religion forum.. It has nothing to do with religion? I've expressed 2 views?



Gerrry... you are letting bitterness get the better of you.


hahahahahaha! I'm not bitter at all, YCM.

This thread stinks because of the sneaky, devious way you wanted to evangelise by raising the issue of the Messiah . But you have been sneaky and predictable and it seems that religion is the only thing you can discuss. :ohmy:

Sadly, I was proved correct, as illustrated in my previous posting.

So yes, this thread belongs in the religious forum because talking about Christianity was your intention all along.

What is hard to understand about that?

;) :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.