Topic-icon BE PROUD

More
16 years 9 months ago #2235 by me2
I think that we as coloured people need to start standing up for each other & looking out for each other as well. There is a common misconception that we coloured people are a bunch of alcoholics, unwed mothers, thugs & not good enough. People assume that because you're coloured, you're rude, wild, & arrogant.
For too long we've been pushed aside & neglected by society based on misconceptions. But does this mean we should b*tch about our oppression by society? Certainly not! We put ourselves down before other people & we let people put us down. I firmly believe that you do not have to always accept what you're given. We have got to make our mark in society. I look at the Indian community & as much as we laugh @ them, let's be honest, they are coming up in life. It's not because they feel sorry for themselves or because they were born with silver spoons in their mouths! Part of the reason why they are making a mark in the corporate world is because they take what they're given & turn it into something positive & maybe because they "got connections". We need to be proud of ourselves in other aspects of life, not only because we can drink people under the table! Such things do not matter, they are not regarded as achievements. As a young coloured male, I refuse to let people ignore me, I refuse to be nothing & I refuse to watch my people being degraded. So I urge you, my fellow Bruinou's, lets look out for each other, by means of positive motivation. Yes we like good times but remember, they will always be there but there comes a time where you have to make something of yourself, something that you would like your kids to be proud of one day. STOP running each other down & start HELPING each other, we need to run this country one day, & when we do it people must be amazed @ the potential that we have. I salute people like Patricia Delil, Trevor Manual, Kim Engelbrecht, Pam Andrews, & all the other Bruinou's who choose to step out & who make us proud to be called Bruinou's,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #2268 by Enigma
Maybe we try to look too far for role models .It doesnt have to be a celebrity .Sure the Trevor Manuals and patricias are great but what about the good coloured folks in our own back yard. Parents maybe , uncles , aunts, or Joe soap down the road.

For instance, I have nothing but respect for my dad .Raised as an orphan seperated from his siblings he managed to get a decent education raise all his kids, took care and loved his wife untill the day that she passed away. So I agree with all your thoughts Me2 but i wanna take it further and say, sure theres negatives in our community but there is also tonnes of positives for us to feed from .

We just need to choose the better option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.