Topic-icon IM MOVING TO JOBURG,HELP!!

More
16 years 8 months ago #3251 by ladyD
HEY FRIENDS AND ASSOCIATES

I NEED ADVICE ON MOVING TO JOBURG-
AVERAGE COST OF RENT, MOST CONVENIENT SUBURBS TO LIVE IN, WHAT EVER I NEED TO KNOW.
THANKS<br><br>Post edited by: ladyD, at: 2005/11/24 02:31

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #3252 by Jericho
Depends on if you're looking for a place... do you have a car or not...

Convenience in terms of public transport is different to convenience with a car.

Rent... its expensive... you want to live in a safe and secure area... but a safe and secure area... if you're renting... like a flat or cottage or townhouse can easily be R3500 for a one bedroom and one bathroom... trust me... I've seen them...

More
16 years 8 months ago #3257 by Imraan
Heelo D,

Jeri is right. A little more info maybe required for some good advice. Where will you be working etc, etc...

I am from Cape Town, but I know that each time I go to Joburg I get the shock of my life on how big the place has become.

Traffic, transport, work, play etc... is all so far apart. When I stayed in Joburg the last time (for a year), anywhere north should be safe but that was eish about 11 years ago and lots has changed.

If the prices are like what they are here in Cape Town then expect to pay what Jeri has said. It is expensive.

regards and good luck.

More
16 years 8 months ago #3258 by emma
its hard

More
16 years 8 months ago #3272 by Platinum
Eish girl.......

Now let PLATTY give you some damn good advice.
Move up here its lekker....Your salary will accomodate your rent and what ever you need....

BUT WATCH OUT !!!

"As jo'burg jou insluk.....spoeg hy jou lelik UIT"
Moenie goeters bo val and think you know all....

We have seen them come and we have seen then go with there tails between there LEGS.

More
16 years 8 months ago #3302 by Bernz
Hi LadyD

Lol, this should be a fun move!

Ok, just got a couple of questions for you:

1. Which area are you gonna work in?

2. What is your budget for rent?

3. Do you have your own car?

4. Are you renting or buying?

5. Are you averse to sharing a place?

Ok, in my experience (all 9 months of it, since I moved from Sleepy Hollow!) is that The West Rand (Rooderpoort, Randburg: Fairland, Northcliff, Constantia, etc...) is really nice and not that badly priced for a place. Garden cottages are about R2000+ and townhouses are about R3900 per month for 2 bed 2 bath... I'm currently on the west rand, it's cheaper, but commuting is hell! I average about R1000 per month on petrol and I've raked up 17000km on my car since I've been here!

Moving further north (i.e. Bryanston, Parkmore, Sunninghill), you're looking at about R4500-R5000 for rent for 2 bed 2 bath (a friend of mine and I are gonna share a place next year - it makes a huge difference to share and stay further north). The plus side about these areas is that they are well established and pretty central. I've noticed that most people work further north.