Topic-icon What is a closet-Coloured?

More
16 years 7 months ago #3942 by CritiKill
I coined this term some time back, to try and categorise some people I have come into contact with since starting this website. I felt I needed to explain what it means and how you can identify somebody that falls into this category. If you're easily offended, then this post is definitely not for you, this is my opinion...actually, get offended if you want...it's simply a case of "if the shoe fits" :-)

What is a closet-Coloured?

A closet-Coloured is somebody who has all the phenotypic characteristics of being Coloured, but they deny their identity and instead...keep it in the closet for whatever reason.
A closet-Coloured is a person with a serious case of self-loathing as they have a hard time reconciling themselves with the Coloured community at large, adopting an ostrich-like approach to life, sticking their head in the sand and hoping their community's problems will magically disappear or won't affect them. The only problem with sticking your head in the sand is that your arse is completely exposed to the world and well...you invariably get phucked!! (apologies for the strong language)
A closet-Coloured will claim to be the staunchest supporter of Coloured self-reliance and the desperate need for the Coloured community in South Africa to start being more productive and more self-sufficient, yet they will never offer solutions or support in achieving these objectives.
A closet-Coloured is a spectator.
A closet-Coloured has no firm stance on anything and is easily swayed...so instead of being loud and proud, they really are more of the meek, muzzled, mutt variety.
A closet-Coloured will always choose to be part of the problem rather than the solution.
A closet-Coloured is a Coloured in denial of the fact.

Can you think of anything else to add to this list? Are you a closet-Coloured? This post is deliberately confrontational, so I'd appreciate responses that are intelligent and not emotive drivel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #3949 by blackstar
Add this homie:

A closet coloured refers to ignorant(I mean that in it's literal sense not derogotary) or disadvantaged brethren as "typical coloureds".

A Closet coloured walks around their workplace talking bout their hood even though they live in quasi-suburbs eg. Greenwood Park.

A Closet coloured is the biggest mouth in any altercation. To quote Jay -
u know the type, loud as a motorbike
but wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight

closet-coloured - To expand on "firm stance", have no independant taste in music movies clothes. Is reluctant to have any kind of opinion, or even oppose general consensus.

Shot CritiKill - keep banging on these fakes. I hope some of these O's take a swipe @ you.

BIG UP YOURSELF - NUFF RESPECT!!!

More
16 years 7 months ago #3950 by Imraan
Well lets see...

Mother from an Indian male and an Afrikaaner (white) female. Grandad and Grandmom running from the state, dropping off kids at various places in the country. Mom was dropped off with an influential Indian family in Durban.

She and her sister were shunned by the Indian community as little coloured girls. Dad of Indian decent (Newcastle), also in exile managed to flee to London and lived at ANC House studying Law. Came back to the country and after his stay in solitary confinement in Durban prison started a law practise.

Met my mother and fell in love with her. They have been married for 45 years.

Me, little boy in Durban, doing legwork for the struggle...shunned by the Coloured community because I was brought up in an Indian community. Looked at very strangely by the Indian community, because of my Mom. Did not belong anywhere. After school decided to leave Durban and was fortunate enough to go to Rhodes in the Eastern Cape. Qualified and went back to Durban. After a year could not handle the same situation so I left to find my own identity and live.

I am a coloured and am very proud of it. Although I am still not accepted by the coloured community in Cape Town and the growing Indian community.

So I call myself nothing but South African. When people ask me what I am, I do not say Indian or Coloured but rather explain the situation and let people make up their own minds.

Friends I have of all races colours and creeds. They understand and like me for being me. They do not question...

How does this define me?

More
16 years 7 months ago #3952 by Fukidol
What about the Bruinou's that grate me the most,they make me more sick than rapists do.....................Yep...I'm talking about Bruinou's that TWANG when they talk:angry:

I mean ..........they grew up in the district all their life,go away for two years and then when they come back they wanna come at me with this shit.....................come on now ,hold it.

Wait till I set it off on one of them.........y'all gonna probably check it on the news.

More
16 years 7 months ago #4025 by DHimself
Haha, you mean the twangstas?? I've got three 'r's in my name, and I pronounce each one of those bastards...hahaha

Seriously though, what happens in the case of, say, someone like Imraan? Involuntarily scorned by both the Coloured and Indian communities for his geneology....

Or, at the opposite end, the offspring of a Black/White relationship.... These peeps will invariably be raised in either a black or white community and will also undoubtedly be scorned by both...

Whilst having difficulty understanding their own identity themselves, they get wind of this online community called Bruinou. They join, only to find that not only must they live as a "mixed" race people, but within that the confusion is further compounded by this "closet coloured" term....

I've got two coloured parents, live in Ennerdale, and have predominantly coloured friends. I'm proud to be coloured. When asked by some ignorant person whether I'm more white or more black, my reply is that I'm the best of both.

Admittedly, while I don't clearly understand the "closet-Coloured" term, consequently, I might very well be one myself.

More
16 years 7 months ago #4027 by DuranO
DHimself you the man

I too seem to be confused by this closet coloured concept. My mom is a bruin stekkie but my bullie is a slam-ou. so what does that make me. in simple......... coloured.a f*cking bushie. reminds me of something a friend was saying (talking about him been a "pure coloured" coz both his parents are bruin). what a laughable concept.

i'm proud to be a bushie.

More
16 years 7 months ago #4029 by DHimself
I'm just seeking a clearer explanation...

I'm just looking for the truth.... hehe:lol:

More
16 years 7 months ago #4034 by nazT
Hi Guys

I think the term 'closet coloured' is a simple one actually.

It refers to sum1 who doesn't want to admit that they are coloured or sum1 who frowns upon their fellow coloured people for being "so typical". It is these people who try their best to be so uncoloured that in doing so their colouredness is all that shines through.

Imagine youself going to London and you encounter a black person but as soon as they speak, all you hear is that British accent. That person immediately stands out to you and the same goes for a coloured person from Eldo's or Ennerdale etc, if they were to start twanging, they stick out like sore thumbs. You just don't expect it and that is why it grabs your attention!!!

So to all those closet coloureds out there: Just be yourself and accept that this is who we are and there is nothing that is gonna change that unless we discover what exactly it is that Micheal Jackson used!!! lol:laugh:

Until then...JUST LIVE WIT IT!!!!:)

More
16 years 7 months ago #4123 by CritiKill
You got it 100% @ NazT, the term "closet-Coloured" is a very simple concept.

Imraan, sorry to break the news to you, but regardless of your "mix", by mere virtue of being "mixed" in the first place, it makes you a Bruinou ekse.

In my books, everybody who is mixed is a Bruinou. To use vague criteria like saying somebody must have lived in a traditional Coloured area in order to fully comprehend what it is to be a Bruinou is nonsense. There is no real qualitative Coloured culture per se. Enforcing criteria simply dilutes the extent and size of the community by dictating criteria that are not really enforceable or measurable. If you're mixed, then you're a Bruinou...finished and kla.

the alternative is that we will be on the name-game treadmill for some time as we think up new names to describe different people of different mixes and different upbringings and what-not...it's all balls!! A Bruinou by any other name is still a Bruinou...

More
16 years 7 months ago #4124 by cheeky01
Hey there Critikill, remember me?

More
16 years 7 months ago #4125 by Aniza
you know mos..

It's the kloras that cannot speak 1 word of Afrikaans and I mean not 1. (Even though at times the grammer totally gets mixed..."I is there geweis")

Its the kloras that will only date whites or indians (and hereby I mean....this is totally a requirement and not something that happens naturally)

Its the kloras that will look at you skeef when they hanging out with their white friends and you and your klora bra's is ripping the floor apart and going craze in the club

Its the kloras that go away from home to work in da big city make it big and feel to ashame to take their new larney friends home cos u skaam coz your brother or your dad suips to much and you only stay in a 2 bedroom house and your Momma still has doylies oor die banke ve decoration.

Hey this only my opinion ne.

Much L
A

More
16 years 7 months ago #4126 by Imraan
As I said CK, loud and proud.

More
16 years 7 months ago #4240 by Lees
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF AND THEREIN LIES TRUE HAPPINESS!:)

More
16 years 7 months ago #4516 by blackstar
Ha, Ha that is really funny Aniza! enough respect my sister, I wish more people could be as frank as that.

More
16 years 7 months ago #4526 by Likwidzoe
Well well, i think the burning issue over here first and foremost is the issue that will forever "haunt" and make some people swak about their identity here in South Africa. Well all know the painfull past of "Apart Timez" and how the effect the term "Kleurling" or "Coloured"( depending on the geographic's) had on a people. To some it elevated their social status ( too a many it did ) and to some caused outrite confussion and racial paranoia.

It is sad that people are still struggling with their born identity till today . Pointing fingers at "closet" colourds is a social farce and is utterly disgusting and disturbing to me. But then again that is where social paranoia steps in.
The emancipation of the peoples of this country belongs to us, and with that comes the freedom of choosing you affiliation to whatever race,sex and class you aspire or identify yourself with in this new found democracy.

It is like juggling with molten lava, the issue i am trying to bring to the fore here. Imagine what a "bushman feels" like ( a real hotnot kalahari oke) ?
This whole "coloured" euphoria being created seems to defeat its sole purpose of gathering them people to form a single uniteted front that will in essence form a "cultural identity" that is sooo much needed amongst bruin people.
Something to be proud of just like them Zulu's , Afrikaaners, Xhosa,s ( all indegenous peoples of this land)

Do not frown upon them "closet" mense embrace them as you will need them in you "flanks" when trying to build a solid , staunch and united front. Accept them for who they are and most importantly the "dynamics" they bring along with them "

Enough said " the term Coloured (also known as Bruinmense, Kleurlinge or Bruine Afrikaners) refers to a rather heterogenous group of people of mixed Khoisan and white European descent. Many also have some degree of Malay, Malagasy, Black (Bantu) and South Indian ancestry, especially in the Western Cape. Some racially pure Khoisans with a European-rooted culture and identity are might also identify as and be considered as Coloureds " ( take note of the "Menagarie" of other races included)

So in essence the topic is a pepertual one that does summon a greater and an un-biased attitude when approached, otherwise it will easily derail one's intention to probe at it and try to decipher it for the "mense" .....

More
16 years 7 months ago #4559 by CritiKill
Likwidzoe wrote:

Pointing fingers at "closet" colourds is a social farce and is utterly disgusting and disturbing to me. .......

As I said, if the shoe fits! Why get all worked up about something if you feel it does'nt apply to you? Typical Bruinou response, get disgusted, get upset, throw a tantrum, sulk, stick your head in the sand and go into a catatonic state of denial. The bottom line, is that there exists a cabal of bruin mense who would rather see any positive, Coloured initiative fail dismally because it does not bode with their defeatist, negative, written-off impression which they have of the Coloured community. A view which they no doubt peddle on bar stools around the country while entertaining their wit brasse. Now that's what I call disgusting!!

Do not frown upon them "closet" mense embrace them as you will need them in you "flanks" when trying to build a solid , staunch and united front. Accept them for who they are and most importantly the "dynamics" they bring along with them".

That's like saying, let's put all the emigrants, deserters and other people of dubious patriotism in the front line of a country's army, hoping they fight with any tenacity...it does'nt make any sense. In the struggle for Coloureds to have equal access to media and to be adequately represented and recognised in South African society, we need people unflinching in the face of adversity, staunch in their belief of the benefits which equal access to state sanctioned, state subsidised, Coloured-specific media channels will bring and uncompromising in their quest to achieve these objectives. "Closet-Coloureds "sadly, lack the required chutzpah and instead, detract from the united front we're trying to forge. In fact, the very value system which a "closet-Coloured" portrays is the exact metaphor which can be used to describe the way Coloured society is viewed at large by the powers that be...an easy to ignore, dismissible, malleable, unsure bunch.

Enough said " the term Coloured (also known as Bruinmense, Kleurlinge or Bruine Afrikaners) refers to a rather heterogenous group of people of mixed Khoisan and white European descent. Many also have some degree of Malay, Malagasy, Black (Bantu) and South Indian ancestry, especially in the Western Cape. Some racially pure Khoisans with a European-rooted culture and identity are might also identify as and be considered as Coloureds " ( take note of the "Menagarie" of other races included)

Thanks for the www.wikipedia.com definition of Coloureds...a definition which I completely disagree with!! ;-)

More
16 years 7 months ago #4560 by blackstar

the way Coloured society is viewed at large by the powers that be...an easy to ignore, dismissible, malleable, unsure bunch.

An therein lies the power of the proletariat - George orwell

Geoge Orwell felt that if there was ever going to be a shift of power it woulld come from the group of people that those in power at the time thought the least of.
If they dont expect anything from us it gives us full reign to do whatever we want.

If we are ever going to mobilise ourselves to launch any kind of offensive, it is going to take those of us who are not burdened by poverty to lift up those that are. To educate those that cannot afford to get a formal education themselves - Each1Teach1. we can't do it if those of us that are financially and academically empowered use it to build up our own sh*t. we can't be influenced by the circle of people around us. We need use our influence on the people around us to build up the people behind and underneath us. If you come from a Disadvantaged community - how does it advantage the community if you get some change and move to a better area. You say you want to give your children a better future and send them to better schools etc - bullsh*t. How about sending your children to the same school all the other coloured children go to, get on the school board use your connections and influence, even your money to build up the school to a better std. To give your children a better oppurtunuity you say? You went to that school didn't you? didn't you do alright?

We move all that is positive out of our communities because we ourselves have a negative attitude ourselves. "Don't give the coloured people anything they don't appreciate it". That is the line I keep hearing from "Closet Coloureds". so becasue they don't appreciate it you gonna keep it for yourself? Stuff all these demicoloureds man. Critikill said that a Closet coloured is a spectator - sh*t that would be alright. It is the coloured who turns his back that bothers me.

I got no love for every single one of you who comes to visit his Granny at the flats that we sit outside hustling, in a Golf 5. how about AT LEAST settling your granny's book by the shop homie?

sorry if I went off on a bit of a Tangent there - but this Closet Cloloured thing hits a lot harder than you people think.

We talk about community but I don't see it. I admire all thoise self made coloured men and women out there but my admiration stops when I realise that now that they made it all they are doing is driving through the Ghetto they no more live there or acknowledge the fact that those of us that are still living are their brothers and sisters.

Critikill, you were quick to clear up the fact that your geographical location doesn't make you any less of a "Coloured" or any more of a "Closet Coloured". I disagree. If you grew up in a white, indian or black area and are a mixed race person(F*ck all definitions - if you are mixed ANYTHING you are coloured) then what you say is true, it is not a concious decision - pledge allegiance to whoever you like. HOWEVER, if you grew up in the flats with us saw how "the man" kicked dirt on our faces, spat on our mothers, conditioned and enslaved our fathers, took our brothers to jail and gave our uncles drugs to sell. Then as soon as you could bailed and moved to the suburbs where you horrify your neighbour and her poodle with tales of the hood while ya'll sip cosmopolitans - then you are written off. You chose sides, I never chose for you - i treat you like an enemy.

All you suburb dwellers should be offended - answer back. better still come see me - ya'll know where i live just down the road. I'll be chilling by the bus stop snacking on a lambchop.

More
16 years 7 months ago #4592 by cuzzie
Blackstar

HOWEVER, if you grew up in the flats with us saw how "the man" kicked dirt on our faces, spat on our mothers, conditioned and enslaved our fathers, took our brothers to jail and gave our uncles drugs to sell.

Ekse what flats did you grow up in??? Cause it sounds like you grew up in the projects... When the f**k did "the man" kick dirt in our faces??? If you grew up in the 50's then excuse me cause im talking nonsense. I think the whole argument about closet coloureds has gotten clouded, if you not wit, black or a chaar ou then what the f**k are you? You are coloured whether you live in Wenthworth or Sandton. Simple as that.

More
16 years 7 months ago #4594 by CritiKill
"the man" is a term made popular during the American civil rights era to refer to "the powers that be"...White people.

To deny that white people in South Africa committed any acts of aggression or abuse against Coloured South Africans is extremely naive and shows a complete lack of knowledge of history. Perhaps Blackstar was overly liberal in the example he cites, but make no mistake, Coloureds were certainly oppressed under white rule.

This is possibly the biggest and most glaring folly of our time, to assume that white South Africans were not responsible for any wrongdoings under apartheid simply because your white senior manager invited you to a braai at his place at which you were the only Bruinou. Surely Mr Whitey must not be a racist, if he can invite you to his house as an act of tokenism. Surely because his son goes to the same school as yours and you've now moved into "his" suburb, that he can't possibly harbour any racist agenda or views.

It's a thin line, this forgive and forget thing. On the one hand, we need to forgive and forget in order to move on, but on the other hand, we need to look at how our communities were decimated and demand some type of tools with which WE can effect the change necessary to make amends, both economic and otherwise.

Closet-Coloureds, with their tail between their legs and their head in the sand just make it very difficult for these ends to be achieved.

More
16 years 7 months ago #4598 by blackstar
Cuzzie - u misunderstood one important point. I don't mean we WERE done wrong. we are STILL being done wrong now. This type of attitude is so frustrating. Just coz u are doing alright doesn't mean everyone in the township is too. The struggle is far from over. If we as a people refuse to realise that there is still work to be done because our PERSONAL lives are alright, How will we ever get anything done. This is exactly why we cant get any kind of foward momentum.

On the one hand, we need to forgive and forget in order to move on, but on the other hand, we need to look at how our communities were decimated and demand some type of tools with which WE can effect the change necessary to make amends, both economic and otherwise.

That's true, but we can't forgive if we are still oppressed. We can't forget if we are reminded everyday, and that is the difference with still living in the Township and living outside it. We living in a warzone Cuzzin, no pools and lawns. everything is cold and hard even some of the people. Can't believe i am on a website dedicated to coloured people trying to explain to coloured people how we living...

Get out of the closet people, or better still lock yourself the f*ck inside.