Topic-icon Flying is the safest way to travel.....

More
13 years 2 months ago #42763 by blueeyedgirl
Right so this is my story....
Saturday morning I get up early, pick up my friend and we off to O.R Thambo (remember its changed) to catch a flight to dbn.. we get on the plane (1Time) take off, 20minutes later announcement from the captin "ladies and gentleman we will be returning to JHb as there appears to be a problem with the plane" :blink: Well as you can imagine my heart is now pounding, tears are blinding me and I start thinking my life is about to end... well we land, with emergancy crew following us.. and turns out one of the engines had gone!!!

so is flying really safe?? how often do the planes get checked?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #42766 by bmx321nc
i can imagine the shock you had girl, believe me;)

but i've been flying for quite some time now - KBY to JHB mostly - and it all goes to vinning i 4get i'm in a plane at times:blink:

i still consider it the safest... or maybe that's coz i don't have a licence yet and i'm not a fan of the bus and train (except when i'm with my buddies and such:woohoo: )

More
13 years 2 months ago #43673 by Gizmo
It must have been quite an experience. I have never experience something like that.

The planes that are used to fly locally are old planes that cannot be used for long distance flights anymore. These planes are sold off to smaller airline to do shorter trips. Chances of a plane crash are only during take off and landing. You have a 1 in 2 million or is it 2 billion chance of a plane crashing due to turbulence.
I personally choice to drive rather than fly. Although it is quite an experience been so high up ;)

More
13 years 2 months ago #43795 by Platinum
This is gonna be abit NASTY ........BUT

if you dont pay for QUALITY then that will happen.
1Time , Kulula , Mango.......They all KUK !!

I am in the travel bussiness now for 7 years. When people wanna book they ask for the "CHEAPEST FLIGHTS" You give them the "CHEAPEST FLIGHTS" and they ask "CANT YOU DO BETTER"

You book them on Mango (R358 return).... when they land , they call you and say "THAT WAS THE WORST FLIGHT EVER , I WILL NEVER BOOK THREW YOUR COMPANY AGAIN. We had no beverages, no drinks, FOKKOL !!
this is PERTHENTIC sevice"

:huh: YOU ASKED FOR CHEAP, DID'NT YOU ??????:whistle:

What is better ?
QUALITY or QUANTITY ????? :pinch:

More
13 years 2 months ago #43797 by bmx321nc
ok Plats ek voel jou meisie... maa SAA chee ok harde, styl brood en as jy vra vi nog 'n bier dan kyk daai flight attendant jou snaaks:blink:

More
13 years 2 months ago #43803 by Platinum
bmx321nc wrote:

ok Plats ek voel jou meisie... maa SAA chee ok harde, styl brood en as jy vra vi nog 'n bier dan kyk daai flight attendant jou snaaks:blink:

NOU LIG JY OOP BEK !!!
Never never had I experienced that....when I land I am ussual DRONK !!!

More
13 years 2 months ago #43840 by Aiden
Speaking about safety and planes. There was an incident a few weeks ago in Cape Town where a guy (won't mention his name since his wife is constantly on this site, but I still think your husband is a f!cking idiot for doing it) threatened to blow up a plane from Cape Town to Joburg 15 min after the plane had taken off. All because they did not want to give his drunk ass any more alcohol. He then took his bag out and said that if they did not comply with his drinking demands he would activate the bomb given to him by his terrorist friends. A few of the people overpowered him and the plane turned back to C.T where every emergency service was on hand. Half the occupants on the plane had to have trauma counselling.

He spent 2 days in jail and was released after his lawyer got a psychologist to write a letter stating that he was under stress. The penalty he got, a R100.00 admition of guilt fine payable immediately because of “his stress and alcohol related problem". He was then allowed to fly back to Joburg a week later.

More
13 years 2 months ago #43842 by Gissel
If I could get a cheap plane ticket to Upington I wouldn't mind. I will even pack my own drinks and food. Cause it's about 1 hour or so by plane and 10 hours by bus :(

More
13 years 2 months ago #43845 by titoM
To blueyedgirl

I took a 1time flight from Jhb to Dbn on Friday morning. On take off you could hear that the engines were straining and thoughts of an engine failing crossed my mind. I wonder if it wasn't the same plane that you'll used the next day. I have travelled by plane quite extensively and have never felt unsafe, but yesterday on my way back to Jhb to say I was a bit nervous would be an understatement.

More
13 years 2 months ago #43964 by rushay
im not scared to fly but i just dont like being in the air for that long my mind starts playing tricks on me

More
13 years 2 months ago #43970 by Girl4Pmb
Sorry to hear about your in flight experience. i could only imagine what was going through your mind...I would've said my prayers and held on for dear life...lol or probably pass out or have a heart attack. I'm an adrenaline junkie but that's far tooooo much for me!

I don't recall ever reading of a commercial plane crashing in south africa. I think it would be safe to say there are far more crashes involving small private planes than commercial ones.

I never eat or drink anything on planes for the simple fact that there are far more serious bacteria in the ice cubes than on a public toilet seat. So next time you hussle to get a drink on board, order without ice... (just thought i'd make that public service announcement for the betterment of mankind, if i didn't ...i wouldn't be able to sleep):P

More
5 months 1 week ago #204246 by rtiiosl
I welcome everyone. Owning a timeshare can help save money when you need to live 2-3 months in the offseason somewhere in Spain in Malta or Florida, I must say ... But, to buy it for ordinary people who travel a week or two a year, I would not advise. Many families bought a timeshare like this, and now they don’t know how to arrange Timeshare Exit correctly. I would never take that risk. It’s easier for me to book a hotel in some resort and relax for my pleasure.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #204276 by rtiiosl
If somebody of your family has to travel a lot, he must have a travel garment holder. I have occasionally come across this accessory in StartMyHobbyTrip.com and immediately decided to buy it. And I must tell you the quality of this holder is above my expectations. It is very spacious, the cloth is protective. I believe it will be very good for packing clothes when traveling.