Topic-icon Require Invest property in Graaf Reinet - any opinions

More
14 years 10 months ago #60472 by cooljazzcafe
I'm ready to purchase some investment property in South Africa again. I'm currently in Canada. Previously I had purchased a nice little property in Harfield village (Cape Town), which I subsequently sold to a nice British couple.

I want to rent out the new property initially, but I'm really looking for a nice property I could use for retirement in about 30 years. I was told that crime is not so bad in Graaf Reinet, and it's a pretty nice area with some coloureds as well.

Anyone have opinions or knowledge they could share with me since I will be doing this long distance. Are there better areas to purchase than GR?

Many thanks in advance

Denise van Esche

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #60530 by DivX_Freek
Hi. From what i know the government is putting a curb on overseas investment in our local property. So things might not be as easy as they were before. Not a detterent to purchase. Just a heads up! ;)

More
14 years 10 months ago #60532 by Top Secret
Graaf Reinett looks like a small cosy town. Do some research about the property and rental market first.

More
14 years 10 months ago #60537 by Angelj
Hi Denise

I happen to have some very good friends who live out that way in fact their family have a very strong alliance to the town as their heritage goes back ages in Graaf Reinet and they are all involved in the town be it in the education system, ministry etc.

It is a very decent, placid lifestyle with very good morals and standards still.

There is somewhat of unity within the community and it is really far from the maddening crowd. If that is what you are seeking when retiring then I would say you have found what your are looking for....

If you want, you can private me and I can give you their contact details and if need be you can them to look into it for you and maybe get their views and opinions as people living in the place.

More
14 years 10 months ago #60539 by Brazen
I don't think investing in a place like Graaff-Reinet is a good choice, business wise. You'll have to ask the business questions for all investments. How will it grow? What will be built around it? Why do I want to be there?

The growth part is the most important to me. There are definitely better areas. Go check out a website called www.privateproperty.co.za

I'm sure you can find better areas. That site will give you an indication of the property prices and the going rent.

More
14 years 10 months ago #60544 by Angelj
Brazen wrote:

I don't think investing in a place like Graaff-Reinet is a good choice, business wise. You'll have to ask the business questions for all investments. How will it grow? What will be built around it? Why do I want to be there?

The growth part is the most important to me. There are definitely better areas. Go check out a website called www.privateproperty.co.za

I'm sure you can find better areas. That site will give you an indication of the property prices and the going rent.

I concur not for investment, but if the end goal is to retire, then this is a town you can retire in. What I do foresee as a problem would be rental in the interim. What needs to be established is it for investment or for retirement. If you wish to make the investment one for retirement then I don't agree that it would be feasible as an income generator.

More
14 years 10 months ago #60545 by nish
Wheres Graaf Reiniet?

More
14 years 10 months ago #60549 by Aiden
Angelj wrote:

It is a very decent, placid lifestyle with very good morals and standards still.

Denise, I think you are lesbian or bi-sexual and Graaf Reinet is not too friendly about that as it still is a very, very, very conservative town. But it may be a little more "friendly" in 30 years time.

I don't think you will have the problems DivX is speaking about as you are a South African.

Also check out www.property24.com .

Good luck!

More
2 months 1 day ago #204544 by Megan27
As a first-time investor, you will have many questions about what is involved in the process. Just try more for https://www.nyrentownsell.com/blog/first-time-property-investor/ as thoughts. Here are some tips to help you navigate the property market and get started investing in real estate.