Topic-icon Ronaldo v.s Torres

More
12 years 4 months ago #103182 by Edge
Something from Reuters....enjoy..

A large chunk of the world's soccer population has already gone crazy over Manchester United and Liverpool, and now we have to deal with the debate on who of Christiano Ronaldo and Fernando Torres is the best player in the world.

That's the hot topic in football circles these days, so I thought I would throw in my five cents' worth, with no intention at all to upset some of the more sensitive followers of the two English Premiership giants ...

But how does one separate two such sublime football talents, each a genius in his own right?

Closer scrutiny of the duo might reveal the following: with the ball at his feet about 30 metres from the opposition goal, Torres is not going to set the pulses racing in the stands, unlike Ronaldo, who boasts the ability to ghost past people as if they're not there (1-0 to Ronaldo).

However, Torres's bigger bulk and more direct style of play ensures that he gets more goals from a standing start just outside the goal area. Sheer physical power rules and certainly works for the Anfield star (1-1).

In wing play, leaving Ronaldo with his back to goal and marked tightly by two or more opponents is no train smash. The United icon would in most cases swivel his way out of there and still set up a teammate for a crack at goals. He has in the past scored magical goals from such \"hopeless situations\". Torres does roam wide, but he relies more on the ball over the top of flat defences than creativity in tight corners. (2-1 to Ronaldo).

One-on-one with the goalkeeper sees both players with equal ability to score (3-2 to Ronaldo).

With defenders in pursuit, though, the Portuguese is likely to take a dive when touched, whereas Torres would be confident enough to ride the tackle and still stick the ball into the net (3-3).

If it boils down to temperament, there can be no doubt that Torres deals better with pressure situations and erring match officials than Ronaldo, who's prone to verbal wars on the pitch (4-3 to Torres).

Both players can be counted on to score with long-range efforts. The power is all equal here (5-4 to Torres).

But a free kick just outside the opposition box is another matter; Ronaldo stands taller than the Spaniard. Torres is no slouch, but he needs a clearer view of the goal than Ronaldo, who conjures up that something special from over or around the defensive wall (5-5).

I would put money on Ronaldo's passing range just pipping Torres's. He seems to get the weight spot-on more often than not, and that's crucial towards the team ethic (6-5 to Ronaldo).

Penalties present no problems to either, so don't even bother to pick a winner in this slot (7-6 to Ronaldo).

Both are fine headers of the ball, but Torres obviously demands more respect and in turn more attention inside the box, leaving more room for teammates to attack the ball unmarked (7-7).

Don't bank too much on defensive duties because they are not natural ball-winners and look clumsy in the tackle (8-8).

For overall entertainment value, one has to look at time spent on the ball during a match and that, of course, puts Ronaldo in the lead in the final minute of this competition (9-8).

But then, as the referee is about to blow the final whistle, a report comes in that Ronaldo and friends were involved in a sex orgy with a couple of prostitutes during which time Torres was snuggled up in bed with a book before dreaming of his next hat trick (9-9).

So it's a nail-biting draw - or perhaps you can come up with something that might separate these two young superstars of the modern game. - Reuters

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #103197 by nish
LMAO , good entertainment but I have an issue with the whole Torres being better in the air than Ronaldo. Fair enuff Torres is taller but Ronaldo is a target in the box when he is not taking a corner just because of his prowess in the box.

Also uhm , the orgy got nothing to do with his skills so we need to rethink the scoring system. How about throwing in a Kaka and a Ronaldhino in the mix.

More
12 years 4 months ago #103216 by Lampard
sorry but i didnt read through this long essay, but How does one compare two professionals as to who the better one is?? Please asnwer this Q??

More
12 years 4 months ago #103229 by K O KID
I dont understand how u can compare these to guys... I mean both are really talented in their respective fields. In my opinion talent wise Ronaldo comes in 2nd to none

More
12 years 4 months ago #103246 by Lampard
I get your drift KO, and i can see you with me on this one..My question is:

Is it wise to compare.(for instance)
Zidane with Pele?
Maldini with Canavaro?
Figo with Ronaldinho??

I can mention a whole lot more...

Egde please answer my question im waiting in anticipation here.... :blink:

More
12 years 4 months ago #103255 by Whiskey
Ronaldo is simply a hond... Torres is ook n' hond, but Ronaldo is hom baas... julle sal sien, Torres homself gaan vir Ronaldo vote innie players player of the year...

More
12 years 4 months ago #103262 by Lampard
Whiskey so dit beteken Kaka is die baas op die oomblik (Ronaldo en Torres se baas) want hyt die award gevang die season..??

More
12 years 4 months ago #103266 by Whiskey
Lampard wrote:

Zidane with Pele?
Maldini with Canavaro?
Figo with Ronaldinho??

Lampard, actually ek dink jy kan my broe... as for Pele' and Zidane, that's a no, coz they played in different times... a few you have mentioned particularly, the Italians, them you can, because they played together... so you can compare them season to season, week to week. Hope you get my point... As for Figo and Ronaldo, Figo was already tired when Ronaldo was a rising star, in fact he still is, The boy is just getting better and better every season... I think Ronaldo could come up against, Kaka and Messi, because they're all young and more impressive every time. Only problem is, they play in different leagues, come up against different players of different class in their respective leagues. The Champions League can only give us a sample on head to head situations with these three players, however, the judgement will hold little integrity as they might just come head to head once or nt at all through the entire competition for one season. There's no consistent head to head situations amongst the three of them...

Ek check ek maak sense:unsure:

More
12 years 4 months ago #103272 by K O KID
Lampard wrote:

Zidane with Pele?
Maldini with Canavaro?
Figo with Ronaldinho??

not only is it not wise cuz...Its jus downryt impossible

More
12 years 4 months ago #103275 by Whiskey
Lampard wrote:

Whiskey so dit beteken Kaka is die baas op die oomblik (Ronaldo en Torres se baas) want hyt die award gevang die season..??

Bra, om eerlik te wees... Ronaldo, Torres for now, I compare yes, coz they're playing in the same league, they face more or less the same opposition on a consistent basis.

Kaka, no doubt very special, sal hom never vergewe vir wat hy aan ons gedoen dit anne tyd... but if I were to choose a really special playa... Lionel Messi, Robinho or Ronaldinho, fokkit:angry: daai goete is warm... wat van Robin Van Persie, Arjen Robbin... dammit... daai outies vang n' ball wuh...

wil nog sien hoe develop daai Bencema van Lyon en daai laaitjie Anderson van United, eish

More
12 years 4 months ago #103281 by Lampard
Whiskey my ou...ekt nie die essay gelees nie...As julle wil jong professionls compare dan maak seker die entire lot word include, almal van hulle wat in dieselfde league speel.

If we take the Champions league for instance...lets compare these players for instance.
Rorres..Ronlado..Messi..Pato..Kanoute...Kaka...Febregas...Van Persie...Robben...Robinho....Eto'o... the list is endless gents....Can we compare them with each other, I honestly DOUBT that..

More
12 years 4 months ago #103288 by Whiskey
Lampard wrote:

Whiskey my ou...ekt nie die essay gelees nie...As julle wil jong professionls compare dan maak seker die entire lot word include, almal van hulle wat in dieselfde league speel.

If we take the Champions league for instance...lets compare these players for instance.
Rorres..Ronlado..Messi..Pato..Kanoute...Kaka...Febregas...Van Persie...Robben...Robinho....Eto'o... the list is endless gents....Can we compare them with each other, I honestly DOUBT that..

Lampard, check my posts bra... ek het gese' to use the Champions League to compare these lads, is down right wrong, coz you're Analysis will lack integrity... niks weight in jou comparisons nie bra...

More
12 years 4 months ago #103291 by Lampard
Ek glo nie dat daar n beter speler is nie ou Whiskey...die arguement sal aangaan vir baie lank en yet sal ons nog steeds nie uit kom by n agreement.

Alex Ferguson of enige ander coach kan amper enige talented speler vat en hom verander in n world claas hero....As vir Ronaldo het Manu nie Portugal gaan toer in 2002 dan was Ronldo nie vandag wat hy is....Hy is vandag wat hy is alles deur Ferguson.. :P

Ek verstaan wat jy se my ou...maar i for one dont think professional comparisons is possible...:blink:

More
12 years 4 months ago #103303 by Whiskey
Lampard wrote:

Ek glo nie dat daar n beter speler is nie ou Whiskey...die arguement sal aangaan vir baie lank en yet sal ons nog steeds nie uit kom by n agreement.

Alex Ferguson of enige ander coach kan amper enige talented speler vat en hom verander in n world claas hero....As vir Ronaldo het Manu nie Portugal gaan toer in 2002 dan was Ronldo nie vandag wat hy is....Hy is vandag wat hy is alles deur Ferguson.. :P

Ek verstaan wat jy se my ou...maar i for one dont think professional comparisons is possible...:blink:

We're in agreement than... All I'm saying that all teams have players that bring something special to the entire team... For instance, Ryan Giggs, unsung hero on many occassions and excruciatingly underrated...

More
12 years 4 months ago #103305 by Lampard
Whiskey wrote:

We're in agreement than... All I'm saying that all teams have players that bring something special to the entire team... For instance, Ryan Giggs, unsung hero on many occassions and excruciatingly underrated...

Nou praat jy my ou...there's always a few special ones that shines in almost any team...

Ek en jy moet n lekke bottle Blach Label indruk met die FA cup final (AS MU DIE FINAL GAAN MAAK)...dan politiek ons none stop...I love that :P

More
12 years 4 months ago #103320 by Whiskey
Lampard wrote:

Whiskey wrote:

Nou praat jy my ou...there's always a few special ones that shines in almost any team...

Ek en jy moet n lekke bottle Blach Label indruk met die FA cup final (AS MU DIE FINAL GAAN MAAK)...dan politiek ons none stop...I love that :P

Is dit my broe, hoorie, hoekom in hakies:laugh: ons gaan definitely daar is...

Ek is uit mense, geniet die weekend... Whiskey gaan nou bowling en more trap ons Portsmouth

More
12 years 4 months ago #103342 by jaydee26
My 2 bob by, ek stem saam met Lampard dat n' comparison impossible is want elke een van die EXTREMELY TALENTED jong manne het different roles by hulle respective clubs.

Op die eintlike vraag: wie is beter tussen Torres en Ronaldo......en ek se die nie net want Man U is my ouens maar Ronaldo is die beter speler op CURRENT FORM. Hoekom, hy is n' WINGER en nie n' out and out striker soos Torres maar hy het al 30 goals vir die season

More
12 years 4 months ago #103350 by Edge
Lampard wrote:

sorry but i didnt read through this long essay, but How does one compare two professionals as to who the better one is?? Please asnwer this Q??

If you took the chance to read the \"essay\"....you you have read that you simply cannot...typical Chelsea !!!!

More
12 years 4 months ago #103362 by Lampard
Edge wrote:

Lampard wrote:

If you took the chance to read the \"essay\"....you you have read that you simply cannot...typical Chelsea !!!!

((Clap Clap Clap))

Jaydee26 wrote:

Op die eintlike vraag: wie is beter tussen Torres en Ronaldo......en ek se die nie net want Man U is my ouens maar Ronaldo is die beter speler op CURRENT FORM. Hoekom, hy is n' WINGER en nie n' out and out striker soos Torres maar hy het al 30 goals vir die season

Maar Joe Cole is beter as hulle altwee neh...:P

More
12 years 4 months ago #103373 by jaydee26
Lampard wrote:

Maar Joe Cole is beter as hulle altwee neh...:P

Nou vat jy gat?