Enviro Solutions Centre & Reitvallei Secondary School FeaturedWritten by Mikal Lambert - Enviro Solutions Centre
It's amazing how Africa is so trapped in the cycle of poverty when there is so much arable land out there. One environmental activist, with his organisation Enviro Solutions Centre (we went to the same high school in Durban) is intent on turning the tide by helping communities become more self-sustaining by building their own food gardens. The organisation needs some assistance in order to go out into the communities and do its amazing work and so we turn to you, the Bruinou.com members for assistance. Ed.
Enviro Solutions Centre & Reitvallei Secondary School have teamed up to initiate an amazing school food gardening project which is going to see the community of Reitvallei getting greener and a lot more environmentally conscious.
Mikal Lambert of ESC developed a 1 year project which will take learners through the basics of Food Gardening and has 5 major tasks for them to complete within the year.
Develop a food garden which requires they go through a basic training and apply that training giving them the theory, practical experience as well as the time and space to apply their knowledge.
- Identify an organization they can support within the community (a crèche, orphanage) with a minimum of 10% of their produce. This puts the learners in a position of being empowered as they see themselves support the people around them 7 move towards become community leaders who are proactive about contributing to their community.
- Come up with a sustainable, practical environmental solutions ( recycling, being water wise, not littering etc) This is aimed at making these learners sensitive to the environment as they consider how their actions impact the world around them and how they can be part of the solutions we need to develop for the world today.
- Train a class of their peers to set up a food garden. In order ensure the long term sustainability of this project it is essential that the knowledge and skills which these learners gain are passed onto other learners. The initial group will have to train their peers to set up a garden as they have done. This gives them the skills to teach others and in this way more learners get involved in growing food gardens. The aim is to have every class having its own food garden until the entire school is one big food garden which supports the learners and the surrounding community.
- The final task which these learners will have is to start a food garden at home individually or a community garden as a group. This takes the project from the school and into the community. It also gives parents and other community members the opportunity to get involved and ultimately green the entire community of Reitvallei Krugersdorp.
It’s going to be an amazing project and we are asking all interest people to consider how they can support us.
Here’s what we need.
- Garden forks
- Hose pipes
- Wheel barrows
- Shade cloth
- Chicken wire
- Organic seeds & seedlings
- Worm farm
- Worms for our worm farm
- Vermi compost
- Printing of manuals
- Recycling bins
- Composting bins
- Security chains & locks
- Internet access
- Fuel to get to the project site.
- Project managers salary
Ideally we would like to get old or unused tools so that we don’t have to buy in new tools, if you have any that you would like to donate please send them to us. If there are any other ways in which you can support this project with various skills, services and goods please contact us as we would love to see this project grow to incorporate a diverse range of talents.
Enviro Solutions Centre
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.